Paul Wilks & Co – Selling your home

So your agent has found you a buyer and probably a lawyer. If you want a speedy conclusion to the house sale then help us to help you, as any delay could cost you hundreds of pounds, so it is well worth making the effort.

uring the 38 years I have been in practise on the Isle of Wight, the basic conveyancing processhas changed little, but the ability to access documents over the internet has improved dramatically as has the requirements for additional documents to support the sale contract. Here is a guide to what is needed.

Start with the basics:

For identification, your lawyer will need to see either your original passport or driving licence with your photo, and evidence of address, usually a bank statement or utility bill not more than three months old.

*Thanks to dematerialisation or in other words ‘destruction’, there may no longer be any title deeds. Years ago the lenders would hold these documents but now to save storage costs they hold virtually nothing. So it is incumbent upon you to ensure you obtain from your lawyer all the documents he/she may have received on your purchase and you hold onto them! If your home is a flat then there should be an original lease. There may be defective title indemnity policies which will still be needed on your sale. If you have to buy these again then it could cost you hundreds of pounds.

*For previous improvements and repairs retain any planning permissions and it is very important to keep the Building Control Completion Certificate. Fensa certificate for any UPVC windows, doors and conservatories installed after 2002.

*Gas installations – since April 1st 2005 including new or replacement gas central heating boilers, gas fires and other gas fittings and be supported by a CORGI or Gas Safety Certificate.

*Electrical installations and changes since January 1st 2005 require an Electrical Safety or Compliance Certificate.

*Any correspondence with the Planning Authority and Building Control

*Guarantees: the originals, please, with the paid invoice.

*Disputes: if you have had problems with the neighbours or the Landlord then please tell us as soon as possible so that we can establish the relevance and what should be done to resolve any potential problems. We will require all correspondence.

*Boundaries: have you renewed the boundary fences or talked to the neighbours about responsibility to maintain? Keep any invoices!

*Solar Panels: if you have leased your roof to a solar panel company you should have the original quote, invoice, any guarantee, lease, evidence of roof survey and a domestic electrical certificate.

*Notices and proposals: this could be letters from neighbours or local council perhaps regarding proposed development in the vicinity.

*Flats: we almost always have to ask for more and more information so it is best to try to get it sorted from the outset. As a minimum, we need three years management accounts, current rent receipt, current insurance schedule, details of all work carried out within the last three years and what may be needed within the next 12 months. If the property retains a share of the freehold then other documents will be needed such as a Share Certificate.

*Management Information Pack: this is obtained from the freeholder or managing agent. It can take several weeks to arrive and cost,  so ordering early is essential.

Paul Wilks Ll.B. (Hons)
Licensed Conveyancer and specialist property and probate lawyer
3 Garfield Road, Ryde –[email protected]
Please telephone us on 01983 614657 for an initial free discussion
as to how we can best help you.

You may also like